Crave-Worthy Meals: Chicken Chili
Staying indoors and keeping warm is what this time of the year is all about. So get the crockpot or instapot out and let’s make chili!
Let us know if you make this delightful dish by posting a picture. And if you have some cornbread, I am sure that will make this even more crave-worthy!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
1–2 poblano peppers, finely diced (or sub 1–2 x 4-ounce cans green chilies – please see notes)
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
4 cups water (or chicken broth)
1 tablespoon soy sauce or GF Bragg’s liquid amino acids
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano ( or regular)
1 ½ lbs chicken thigh – boneless, skinless
3 cups white beans, cooked. ( 2 14-ounce cans drained –or 1 ½ cups dry, soaked and cooked)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped, divided
Garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, lime, avocado
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and poblano pepper and sauté until tender about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin coriander and chili powder and lightly toast, about 1 minute.
- Add water, scrapping up the brown bits. Turn heat to high.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, oregano and salt.
- Stir, add chicken thighs, whole, and bring to a boil. Cover turn heat to low and keep at a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is tender, shred into smaller pieces with two forks.
- Add the cooked beans and juice of 1 lime ( you could mash 1 cup of beans).
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat, uncovered for 10 minutes, until it reduces and thickens a bit. Taste, adjust salt and spice level -adding a pinch of chipotle powder or cayenne of you like.
- Stir in half the cilantro and serve.
- Divide among bowls, serve with more cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, avocado, and lime wedges.
Recipe source: https://www.feastingathome.com/