Christmas Cookie + Ornament Countdown
Gingerbread Christmas Cookies + Amazing Grace P. Buckley Moss Ornament + Solemate Sock Warmth
by Canada Goose Gallery
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
COOK TIME:0 HOURS 0 MINS
TOTAL TIME:1 HOUR 10 MINS
3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
2/3 c. molasses
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2″ piece fresh ginger, grated (optional)
Zest of 1 orange (optional)
1/2 tsp. finely ground black pepper (optional)
Sugar Cookie Icing, for decorating
Sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and molasses until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda, and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, as well as fresh ginger, orange zest, and black pepper (if using), until the dough just comes together. (Do not overmix!)
- Divide dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 to 3 hours. (Alternatively, divide dough in half and roll each piece of dough between two pieces of parchment to 1/4″ thick. Chill until firm.)
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/4″ thick. (Alternatively, peel off both sheets of parchment from the dough, then replace one sheet of parchment back underneath the dough.) Cut out gingerbread men with a 3″ wide cutter and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until slightly puffed and set, 9 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the remaining disc of dough. Decorate with icing and sprinkles as desired.