Image Size: 8-15/16 x 22 ins. Paper Size: 10-15/16 x 24 ins.
This print depicts The Cheese House and Miller’s Buggy Shop in Kalona, IA. The Cheese House was built in 1946 by 32 Amish and Mennonite farmers in Johnson and Washington counties and named Twin County Dairy. Swiss-born John Roetlin, Sr. and his two sons acquired the dairy, and John Roetlin, Jr., became the sole owner in 1985. Over 40 million pounds of award-winning cheddar are manufactured annually at the dairy, and over 200 varieties of cheese are stocked in the retail store.
Miller’s Buggy Shop was built in 1929 by Sam T. Miller who constructed the facility for his father, Uriah. Many hours were spent on the main floor of the shop making buggies. Once the frame of the buggy was completed, it would be raised by block and tackle to the second floor where they were painted. The Buggy Shop has been restored and can be viewed at the Kalona Historical Museum in Kalona.