Around 1810 Davis sold his grist mill to Robert Patterson, father of the founders of NCR. Patterson renamed the village Cliff Town, had it surveyed into lots and officially made a town whose name was shortened to Clifton. Clifton grew rapidly and at one point had a population three times that of today with blacksmith shops, a butcher shop, two churches, a school, a hotel, two grocers, weavers, shoemakers, paper makers and more. Due to Robert Patterson being made Quartermaster,Clifton played a part in the War of 1812. Clifton Mill provided corn meal for federal troops from this part of Ohio, while Patterson’s woolen mill provided cloth and buttons for uniforms.
Robert Patterson sold Clifton Mill to the Armstrong family who ran the mill for more than 20 years. Then three generations of the Preston family ran the mill till 1948. Many years and several owners later, the Satariano family purchased the mill to preserve such an historic and beautiful piece of property.